Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Every dog has his day...

...or doesn't.

I really need to start bringing my camera with me. Today I was on a xe om (motorcycle taxi) when I looked to my right and saw a motorcycle with five skinned dogs on the back. They all had their mouths open, and I wondered if they'd been beaten to death to make the meat more tender. I thought, "Man, I wish I could show this to the folks back home."

By the way, the Chinese and Vietnamese do eat dog, but there's just one type of dog that's raised to be eaten (and beaten). Lots of people also have dogs as pets. I see them everywhere and pet about half of them. Because I know you're wondering, I haven't eaten dog yet, but I do expect to one day. I told my students I'll probably do it just before leaving Vietnam because I don't want to like it.

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...