Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Third place...

...is the second loser.


Yes, that's me in front of the giant Jim Beam sign.

So I didn't win, nor come close. The judges gave first place to a three-person band with a guy who played great guitar and a guy who played better harmonica, but it was led by a girl who couldn't sing. Simon Cowell would've made fun of her for trying. Second went to a two-man band (guitar and harmonica), who were also pretty good.

Then me, who, I think it's safe to say, had the best voice. I sang Norah Jones' "Turn Me On" (and people cheered whenever I quoted those lines, reinforcing my belief that people are really easy), and "Walking on Sunshine." I was clearly nervous, but apparently that's charming. Ah well. I think the judges were biased against those of us raised in the karaoke projects, but hey, I got a free drink card! Any of you come to Hanoi, your first rum and coke is on me.



No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...