Wednesday, July 06, 2005

"Eating her way across Viet Nam"

So, I wrote a cheesy column-thing for Nguoi Viet 2, the weekly English offshoot of the U.S.'s largest Vietnamese newspaper. They wanted something about food and I wrote about my favorite dishes during my recent travels. I'm going to post the article, but I don't think anyone should actually read it. I think you should look at the first picture of Jackie, her mouth open, cao lau noodles halfway in her mouth. That's the picture they decided to run 8" x 15". That made the whole thing totally worth it.

Also, for reasons I'll never understand, the article has apparently garnered the second largest response ever for a Nguoi Viet 2 article. As of two weeks ago, 4,733 responses, my editor said. What are these people writing about? I have no idea. But the fact they've written at all only contributes to the lasting mystery of the Vietnamese. We're an odd, odd people.

http://nguoi-viet.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=25851&z=19

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...