Friday, February 18, 2011

Hiking Volcan Telica with Quetzaltrekkers in Leon, Nicaragua

Sun setting on Volcan Telica.
If you have the chance, sign up for a hike with Quetzaltrekkers, a trekking outfit based in both Nicaragua and Guatemala. It’s staffed by foreign volunteers, and the proceeds help street kids in Leon. The two-day Volcan Telica is one of their many Nicaraguan options.

ANOTHER OLD TRAVEL JOURNAL

The Place: Leon, Nigaragua (Volcan Telica)
The Dates: March 17-18, 2009
Journal Date: April 30, 2009

“We headed on an overnight camping trip the next day. It was my first-ever camping trip where I carried my own sleeping bag and gear, and it wasn’t too bad. If there’s one thing I learned, it’s that I brought way too much water. I simply don’t need as much as other people.

Our group had 7 people and 3 guides. Unfortunately, no one was hot (I was hoping for an Aussie we met a few days earlier, but instead we got a chubby Israeli), and there were two European couples. But Brad, a young American, hung out with me and Marj, and though he seemed quiet at first, we eventually opened up. 

An example: as the sun was setting, I pondered, “I wonder where it rises?” and Brad, in a no-duh voice, answered, “The opposite of where it sets?” I said, “Look, sometimes I just speak before I think, okay?”
But later I got him back as we all looked at the stars – so clear and unlike in D.C. – and Brad said, “I can’t tell where the constellations are from the southern hemisphere.” I thought about my trip to Ecuador, named for its spot along the, oh, say, EQUATOR, and blurted out, “We’re not in the southern hemisphere!” Brad said, sheepishly, “You know what you said earlier about not thinking before you speak?”

It was a nice trip…I just love doing physical things. Too bad the way up was dusty, and not lovely, and I had too many bags and there were no hotties/clever English speakers on the trip. But the way back was grand, and with our heavy packs marching through farm/grassland, I felt like we were something out of a Vietnam War movie.

The volcano wasn’t that great. We didn’t see lava. Hell of a way to commit suicide, though, if anyone was so inclined. And more bad news was that I broke my memory card and all my pics and video and me volcano surfing!

What You Should Know: The two-day hike was $40 and everything is provided except water. (However, a glance at the website shows the hike is now $60, but include water and a T-shirt.) The top is incredibly windy, so bring a jacket. The view isn’t anything special, except for the way down, which you can actually do on the full-moon hike. Our guide said his favorite trip is Somoto.

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...