Thursday, February 10, 2011

Our jungle guide who finds the animals and hits on the single girls

Nacer finds a baby caiman.
Well, it’s all in the title. Nacer was amazing at spotting animals (remember, he could hear a croak, identify it as a poisonous frog, catch it and bring it back to us) and also hands-on with the single chicks of the group  (but nothing you couldn't ward off).

ANOTHER OLD TRAVEL JOURNAL

The Place: Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve, Samona Lodge, Ecuador
The Dates: Feb. 18-21, 2008
Journal Date: Feb. 25, 2008

Showing us how to fish for piranhas.
“We got into line to enter the boat that would take us to our lodge, and I was somewhere near the back when I heard them ask for someone who was alone. “That’s me!” I called out, moving up. “Estoy soltera!” (“I’m single!”) Nacer, our guide, said, “Estas soltera?” and made it a point to shake my hand, to laughs all around.

…Last of all, Nacer, our all-seeing guide who looked like he was infantry, with his camouflage pants and sleeveless olive vest. One other group took pictures of Nacer with his knife between his teeth. He spotted and found so many animals – he’s really a great guide. He made subtle moves on me and Eloise (I guess it makes sense – why wouldn’t a good-looking guide hit on the two single girls of the group?). He asked me if I wanted to go see the thunderstorm. I said no. He tried again. I said I didn’t want to get wet. He promised it would be a unique experience. I ruefully shook my head.

He was much more hands-on with Eloise, tough, hugging her around the neck from behind and massaging her shoulders. She didn’t seem to mind (whereas I definitely would’ve shied away). On the last night, he seemed pretty frantic to get her to stay out and play cards with him.

I only got really annoyed with him at the end, when I came up to him with a $20 bill, asking if he had $10 in change because I wanted to tip him $10 but a $20 was all I had. He said he had nothing. I then started talking about paying for my drinks to get change. Or leaving his tip with others, and wah-lah! He had change aplenty. I didn’t notice this, but Eloise said as I was talking about getting change, he was giving me this look like he couldn’t believe I wouldn’t just give him the full $20.

What You Should Know: Have change.

Nacer and Pancho. Yes, almost every pic I have of him, he's with an animal. He's that good with them!

1 comment:

tourguide said...

Nice blog.
I appreciate you for sharing this informative content which is useful for us. Thanks
island hopping tours in galapagos

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...