Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Watching the Super Bowl at the U.S. embassy in Delhi

Giants fans cheer the victory.
I’m not remotely a football fan, but when I heard they were showing the Super Bowl at the U.S. Embassy in Delhi, I wanted to go. They were showing the game at the American Community Support Association (ACSA) restaurant, but you needed to be a member or a guest of one to come in. So I texted a guy I met once who works at the embassy requesting an invite, and he agreed to sign me in.

Just before 5 am on Monday I stepped through a metal detector, showed the guards my passport, and was on my way to a posh restaurant where the game was playing on a projector.

My embassy friend introduced me to Alex, who’s from New York and was cheering for the Giants. An hour earlier Alex, who was in Delhi for three weeks on business, didn’t even know where he’d watch the game. At 4 a.m. that morning he loaded up on money—he had more than $200 in cash on him—got in a taxi and went to two hotels, hoping they were showing the Super Bowl. No go. Then he came to the embassy, ready to bribe his way in, if necessary. But my embassy friend saw him standing there and let him in.

Watching the halftime show.
It was a good game, of course, but we had to watch the version shown to overseas U.S. armed forces. That meant not only did we not get to see the Super Bowl commercials, but we were overloaded with snippets of football players thanking us for our service, news bytes delivered by impassive military members, and commercials aimed at soldiers.

This was actually kind of awesome, since I was sitting next to some of the Marines in charge of security for the compound (“What does ‘FNB’ mean?” I said after one commercial for what looked like a new TV series. “Fucking New Guy,” they said. “Seriously?!!?”). They were not shy about their dislike of these commercials. When I asked one if the plethora of athletes thanking him meant anything, he scoffed and for the rest of the game he and another guy snidely asked each other if the commercials meant anything to them.

For another commercial, one Marine said sarcastically, “Now I know not to do drugs,” and at a particularly patriotic commercial, a guy said, “That’s it, I’m re-enlisting.” After a rare non-armed-forces ad promoting an upcoming UFC match, one Marine noted that they get all the pay-per-view matches for free, “but I’d pay if we could just get some regular commercials.”

Giants won, half the place cheered, and I had a lovely time.

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...