Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One month in South India (Mumbai, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu) (with pics)

Chinese fishing nets in Kochi.


Hampi is more gorgeous than it appears here, I swear.
For anyone interested in planning a South India trip, here’s how I did mine: 

Days 1-3: Mumbai
Days 4-6: Goa
Days 7-8: Hampi
Day 9: Hampi/Transit to Gokarna
Day 10: Gokarna
Day 11: Transit to Kerala
Days 12-13: Varkala
Day 14: Kollam
Day 15: Alleppey/Transit to Munnar 
Days 16-17: Munnar
Day 18: Transit to Wayanad
Days 19-20: Wayanad/Transit to Kochi
Days 21-23: Kochi
Day 24: Madurai
Days 25-26: Pondicherry/Auroville
Days 27-28: Mamallapuram
Day 29: Chennai/Transit
Day 30: Transit to Kolkata

Highlights
  • Canyoning in Goa
  • Scootering in beautiful Hampi
  • Trekking through tea plantations in Munnar
  • Spotting elephants in Wayanad National Park
  • Eating fresh seafood in Kochi
  • Trying (badly) to surf in Mamallapuram
  • Talking to friendly children in Hampi
Lowlights
  • Trying to mail a package in Mumbai
  • Too many all-day transit days
  • Kerala transit in general (too short for overnight buses, and yet not short enough to be enjoyable)
  • The awful heat of South India (I did not time my trip well)
  • Being harassed by rickshaw drivers in Hampi
Places I wish I’d made time for: Mysore, Ooty

Places I wish I’d spent less time in: Gokarna (not worth the full day of transport for so little time at the beach), Chennai (only there for transport anyway)

The Taj Mahal Palace & Tower hotel in Mumbai, one of the main sites of the 2009 terrorist attacks.
The Gateway of India in Mumbai.
Beautiful Palolem in south Goa. Wish I'd spent more time there!
A tree at sunset on Hanuman Temple in Hampi.

Trekking with my sister in Munnar through tea plantations.
Backwaters in Kollam (Kerala)
Backwaters in Kollam (Kerala).
Elephant in Wayanad National Park. This one had a chain on its foot, though.
We didn't get such great views of the truly wild ones. 

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...