Monday, May 14, 2012

Backpacker strong

One thing I have to be careful about coming home is gaining weight. When I returned to the U.S. after spending a year in Vietnam in 2006, I quickly gained five pounds thanks to my fierce desire to hit up the dollar menu of every fast food joint within a five-mile radius.

Right now I’m in good shape, even though I don’t work out (I brought a jump rope on my trip and used it twice). I call it backpacker strong. Like how construction workers are fit not because they exercise, but because it’s what they do.

When I was traveling, I’d walk for miles each day. In the steep hill stations of Shimla and Darjeeling, I worked up a sweat just by getting lost.

I’d also stand for hours. Once I couldn’t get a seat on one train’s general seating area and stood for 4.5 hours. Another time I couldn’t get a seat on a bus through the winding hills of Wayanad, and had to hang onto a hand grip for dear life. My arms and shoulders are toned from carrying my heavy backpack from hotel to hotel, in constant search of a good price.

On top of that there are the touristy things you do that make you strong—trekking, whitewater rafting, renting a scooter, etc. I don’t know if I can keep it up now that I’m home. I may have to join a gym.

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...