Monday, February 28, 2011

The trip to Nicaragua ends

The last day is just a transport one, from Granada to Managua airport to fly back to the States. I realized that as much as I loved traveling with a friend, traveling solo has its benefits too.

ANOTHER OLD TRAVEL JOURNAL
The Place: Granada, Managua, Nicaragua
The Date: March 23, 2009
Journal Date: April 30, 2009

“FINAL DAY: Uneventful. We parted at the airport, and I wrote Marj a not that I loved her THIS MUCH. I really did have a great time with Marj, but it just wasn’t a challenge. I came back from Ecuador and Colombia thrilled with all the people I’d met, both foreigners and locals. In comparison, I only met one Nica who wasn’t connected to the tourism industry (admittedly, Nicas are the least friendly Latinos I’ve met so far. I couldn’t believe how often hostel employees left me waiting, or gave me dour looks for daring to ask them to help me).

But just once, while wandering Leon on my own at night, did I meet a real Nica. The woman saw me taking pictures and came up to warn me that it wasn’t safe. Then we started talking about how things were good for awhile but about three years ago the jobs left and so crime rose (I later found out from an expat that three years ago Daniel Ortega won the presidency and foreign businesses began leaving). The woman seemed like a busybody but a well-meaning one. And I enjoyed my brief chat with her.

I wonder where I’ll go next for the next trip abroad. (Note: this was written almost two years ago and I haven’t left the country since! But the answer is India.)

What You Should Know: From Granada to the airport, Paxeos charged $18 if they have to pick you up from your hotel, but if you go to their office in the square and leave at one of their designated shuttle times it’s only $12 each. They have six times a day when they leave for the airport: 3:45 am, 5:45 am, 9:45 am, 12:45 pm, and two more times which I can’t recall. 

No comments:

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...